What did that word just make you think?
If you’re not a Millenial it probably wasn’t something terribly nice.
If that’s true, you’re kind of an asshole. Here’s why:
I get so tired of hearing people dogging on Millenials as if we’re such a failure of a generation. Did you do everything the way the generation above you did? Probably not. That’s why it’s a different generation. Times change, fads come and go, and technology improves. You can fight against it and complain about how in your day things were different, but that doesn’t change the fact that an entire massive generation is here to stay. We do things our way just as you did things your way, and there’s nothing wrong with that. In fact, there are many things that we can do better than you.
- We’re better at technology than you are. It comes more naturally. And if you think that in another decade or so facebook and YouTube and the overall internet won’t be what it is today, you’re right. It’ll be so much more. The entire world is using the internet. It’s not a fad. It’s not going to go away or become outdated. It’s simply going to be upgraded. Wouldn’t you rather know how to survive in that world, or at least have someone who does willing to help you?
- We’re so much faster when learning about things. True, this tends to backfire and we don’t always have the in depth knowledge to back things up, but what takes you an hour takes us 10 minutes to find.
- Possibly because of the lack of in depth knowledge we understand the importance of collaboration. Two minds are better than one, and so on. We respect that everyone knows a little something different, and has something unique to bring to the table. So do you want to know why we probably don’t show you a lot of respect? You’re not giving it. You’re used to the idea of “paying dues”. Well I hate to break it to you, but you’re probably not the expert anymore. If you’re so quick to judge the younger generations, I highly doubt that you’re actively learning new techniques and methods. What does that mean? You’re outdated. Business is changing. Once again you can thank technology for that one. Instead of poorly bossing us around, work with us, guide us, and most importantly listen.
- A major downside to all of the movies, TV, video games, and internet is that we struggle to maintain a long term interest in things. Working the same job for 3 years without change? That thought makes me cringe. I understand the importance, but let me also point out that this desire for constant change probably also comes from school. You convinced us all that without a higher education we would never amount to anything. Well, guess what? There still aren’t any jobs for us, and now we’re all used to semesters, trimesters, and projects. Constant change for 24+ years. What did you think was going to happen? You know how we use this to our advantage though? We are great at brain storming. We are great at project planning. We are great at deadlines.
- We seem to have better eyes than you. Do you really think that your website looks good (or works properly)? Ha! Oh… You were serious? When I have to design a website, you know what my first instinct is? I look at similar websites. Note what you like, what you don’t like, and make sure to decide why. And most importantly, keep in mind that repeatedly you’re going to have to update and upgrade the site, and when that occurs DO NOT add on to the crap that’s already there. Start over. Keep it simple. Make it beautiful.
There are plenty more things that I could list, but this is a good start. Hopefully I’ve made some good points that at least some of you are agreeing with, but if you’re still fighting the truth then all I have to say is this: Who the hell do you think you are to think you’re so perfect? You’re not. Everyone, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, or experience, makes mistakes. Off the top of my head I can think of plenty of mistakes that your generations have made, so remember that next time you decide to judge us, because that’s exactly what you’re doing. You’re a judgmental asshole, and you’re welcome.
Various things relating to this topic: